Hi! My name is Virginia (Ginny) Pannabecker, and I'm one of two Health Sciences Librarians at the ASU Downtown Phoenix Campus Library. You can see my photo on the right side of this page.
This assignment should take you 30 minutes or less. Completing this assignment and your library quiz in your NTR 450 Blackboard course site will prepare you for our hands-on library research session on January 27th.
Follow the steps below to complete your assignment, then head to your blackboard course site for NTR 450 and complete the short quiz.
Step 1: Get to know your ASU Library
Step 2: ASU Library doesn't have it? We can get it for you!
Step 3: Set up your ILLIAD Account to use the Interlibrary Loan / Document Delivery service
Step 4: Get to know 2 research databases for Health Sciences research
Step 5: You try it!
Step 6: Last Step!
Comments and Suggestions
Thanks! And, let me know if you have any kind of technical issues or other problems with materials on this page. My contact info is on the right, or here:
ASU Library is here to support you in your research and studying success!
Watch this 1 minute 'Library Minute' video for an overview of ASU Library resources, services, and locations:
Join Anali for a 'Library Minute' on the ASU Library Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery service:
1. Start at the ASU Library home page, lib.asu.edu
2. Click on 'My Accounts' on the gray information bar across the page and select 'My Illiad Account.'
3. On the ILLIAD Account page, click on the red text, 'First time users.'
4. Follow the steps to create your ILLIAD Account.
5. Problems creating your account? Contact the Interlibrary Loan office at: (480) 965-3282 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
View the 2 videos below to see examples of keyword searching in 2 major Health Sciences research databases: PubMed and CINAHL.
In each video, Look for:
PubMed Keyword searching via YouTube: http://youtu.be/GcOPnx0d0xY
CINAHL Keyword searching via YouTube: http://youtu.be/Ad_Q5vYYg_4
Now that you've seen how to use 2 Health Sciences research databases, try it out:
1. Get to the PubMed research database via ASU Library
2. Search for the keywords:
vegetarian diet AND vitamin d
3. How many results did you get for your search?
4. How many results do you have if you click on the '5 years' filtering option on the left side of your results page?
5. Set up your results list so that you can view the abstract (article summary) for each of your results:
6. Click on the 'Get it @ ASU' button for one article, such as, "The effect of vegetarian diet on selected essential nutrients in children."
7. Find out if the journal that published the article you chose to look at is 'peer-reviewed' or 'refereed'?
(Hint: a journal is 'peer-reviewed,' (also called 'refereed') when the articles that are submitted for possible publication are reviewed by experts in the field who provide comments, ask questions, and recommend that the article be accepted or rejected for publication, based on its quality of research and analysis. Find out more about 'peer-review.')
Awesome! You have completed this pre-library session assignment!
All that's left is to head over to your Blackboard course site and take your library quiz - if you went through the steps above, you should ace it with ease!
Comments or suggestions on this assignment? Use the Feedback box below (the email address is optional - feel free to leave that blank for anonymous comments).