General Bibliographic Sources
- Balay, Robert, ed. Guide to Reference Books,11th ed. Chicago: ALA, 1996.
- While this source is concerned with the entire universe of information, pages 648 to 713 covers art, architecture, design and applied arts.
Hayden Reference/West Reference Z1035.1 .S43
- Blazek, Ron, and Aversa, Elizabeth. The Humanities: A Selective Guide to Information Sources. 4th ed. Englewood, Co.: Libraries Unlimited, inc., 1994.
- A handy guide for the world of the humanities, it contains an excellent section on the visual arts.
Hayden Reference/West Reference AZ221 .B53x
Selected Art Specific Bibliographic Sources
- Arntzen, Etta and Rainwater, Robert. Guide to the Literature of Art History. Chicago: ALA, 1980.
- Comprehensive guide to more than 4000 reference and research items concerned with art history. Each item is annotated. It is divided into four sections: I. General Reference Sources; II. General Primary and Secondary Sources; III The Particular Arts; and IV. Serials.
Hayden Reference/West Reference N 380 .A7x
- Ehresmann, Donald L. Fine Arts: A Bibliographic Guide to Basic reference Works, Histories, and Handbooks, 3rd ed. Littleton, Co.: Libraries Unlimited, 1990.
- Annotated guide to more than 2000 items separated into two parts: Reference Works and Histories and Handbooks.
Hayden Reference/West Reference N 5300 .E36x
- Raish, Martin, ed.; Pat Ensor, series ed. Key Guide to Electronic Resources: Art and Art History. Medford, N. J.: Information Today, Inc., 1996.
- Hayden Reference NK 192 .K48
Bibliography and Research Methodology
- Jones, Lois S. Art Information and the Internet: How to Find it, How to Use it. Phoenix,AZ: Oryx Press,1999.
- This state of the art guide is divided into three sections: I. Basic Information Formats; II. Types of Web Sites and How to Find Them; III. How to Use and Supplement Web Information. Much more than a directory of important art sites on the Internet, this guide introduces the reader to methodolgies that one may employ to find, evaluate and augment information on art found on the Internet with traditional resources of informaion. This print resource is kept current by updates posted to the Oryx Press web site.
Hayden Reference/Architecture Reference/West Stackes N59.J66 1999
- Jones, Lois S. Art Information: Research Methods and Resources, 3rd ed. Dubuque, Ia.: Kendall/Hunt, 1990.
- Annotated guide to about 19,000 items organized in three sections: A. Methodology; B. Bibliography of Research Sources; and C. Research Centers. In addition this resource conveniently provides French, German, and Italian to English dictionaries of art history terms and Multiple glossaries and a discussion of subject specific terminology.
Hayden Reference/West Reference N85 .J64x
- Kleinbauer, W. E., and Thomas Slavens. Research Guide to the History of Western Art. Chicago: ALA, 1982.
- Organized into two parts. The first part is a survey of the field by a noted art historian and the second part is an annotated list of major reference works.
Hayden Reserve N380 .K56
- Muehsam, Gerd. Guide to Basic Information Sources in the Visual Arts. Santa Barbara, Ca.: Jeffrey Norton Publishers/ABC-CLIO, Inc., 1978.
- A collection of bibliographic essays commenting on and evaluating 1045 examples from the literature of art history. Part I which deals with "Core Materials" in a series of essays that emphasize research methodology. Part II is concerned with "Periods of Western Art." The author discusses pertinent examples of art historical literature with in the context of period styles. In part three the author concentrates on "Art Forms and Techniques." Here the author discusses architecture, painting, sculpture and so on. Part IV focuses on "National Schools of Art", that is the literature of the art of the Americas, Europe, Oriental Art and Primitive, Tribal Art of Africa, North America Indian, and Oceania. While this source seems at times somewhat dated it is still one of the best examples of the literature of art discussed in the form of bibliographic essays.
Hayden Reference N7425 .M88>
- Thieme, Ulrich, and Becker, Felix. Allgemeines Lexikon der bildenden Kunstler von der Antike bis zur Gegenwart unter Mitwirkung von 300 Fachgelehrten des in- und Auslandes. Leipzig: Engelmann, 1907-1950.
- Hayden Reference N40 .T4
- Vollmer, Hans. Allgemeines lexikon der bilden Kunstler des XX. Jahrhunderts. Leipzig: Seamann, c1953-1962.
- Hayden Reference N40 .V6
- Benezit, Emmanuel. Dictionnaire critique et documentaire des peintres, sculpteurs, dessinateurs et graveurs de tous les temps et de tous pays. Paris: Grund, 2nd ed., c1948-1955.
- Hayden Reference N40 .B47 1948
Reprint(?) 1976. Hayden Reference N40 .B47 1976
- McNeil, Barbara ed. Artist Biographies Master Index. Detroit: Gail,1996.
- Hayden Reference - Biography Table N40 .A78
- Freitag, Wolfgang.Art Books: A Basic Bibliography of Monographs on Artists. 2nd ed. New York: Garland Publishing, Inc., 1997.
- Hayden Reference N40 .F73x 1997
Specialized Biographical Sources
- Cederholm, Theresa Dickason. Afro-American Artists: A Bio-bibliography Directory. Boston: Boston Public Library, 1973.
- Hayden Reference N6538 .N5C42
- Igoe, Lynn Moody and James Igoe. 250 Years of Afro-American Art: An Annotated Bibliography. New York: R.R. Bowker Co., 1981.
- Hayden Reference N6538 .N5I36x
- Riggs, Thomas, ed. St James Guide to Black Artists. Detriot: St James Press, 1997.
- Hayden Reference/West Reference N 40 .S78 1997.
- Thomson, Dennis. The Black Artist in America: An Index to Reproductions. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1991.
- Hayden Reference N6538 .N5T46
- St. Louis Public Library. Black American Artists Index. St. Louis: St. Louis Public Library, 1972.
- Hayden Reference/West Reference N6538 N5s2x
- Bailey, Joyce Waddell, ed. Handbook of Latin American Art: A Bibliographic Compilation. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, 1984.
- Hayden Reference/West Reference N6502 .H36x
- Findlay, James A. Modern Latin American Art: A Bibliography. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1983.
- Hayden Reference/West Reference N6502.5 .F56x
- Sanjurjo, Annic, ed. Contemporary Latin American Artists: Exhibitions at the Organization of American States 1965-1985. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow press, 1993.
- Hayden Reference/West Reference N6502.5 .C66 1993
- Sanjurjo, Annic, ed. Comtemporary Latin American Artists: Exhibitions at the Organization of American States 1941-1964
- West Reference N6502.5 .C659 1977
- Graham, Mary and Carol Ruppe, eds. Native American Artists Directory. Phoenix: The Heard Museum, 1985.
- Hayden Reference/Hayden Arizona N6538 .A4G7x
- Lester, Patrick D., ed. The Biographical Directory of Native American Painters. Tulsa: Sir Publications, 1995.
- Hayden Reference/West Reference/Hayden Liabiola/Hayden Arizona Historical Foundation N6536 .L47x
- Anderson, Janet A. Women in the Fine Arts: A Bibliography and Illustration guide. Jefferson, N. C.: McFarland & Co. Inc., 1991.
- Hayden Reference N8354 .A63X 1991
- Clement, Clara Erskine. Women in the Fine Arts: From the Seventh Century B. C. to the Twentieth Century A. D. Boston and New York: Houghton, Mifflin and Co., 1904. New York,: Hacker, 1974.
- Hayden Reference N 43.W3 1974
- Chiarmonte, Paula. Women Artists in the United States: A Selective Bibliography and Resource Guide on the Fine and Decorative Arts, 1750-1968. Boston: G. K. Hall, 1990.
- Hayden Reference N6536 .W65x 1990
- Dunford, Penny. A Bibliographical Dictionary of Women Artists in Europe and America since 1850. New York: Harvester Wheatsheaf, 1990.
- Hayden Reference/West Reference N6757 .D86 1990b
- Gaze, Della. Dictionary of Women Artists. London: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 1997.
- Hayden Reference N8354 .D53 1997
- Heller, Jules and Nancy G. Heller, eds. North American Women Artists of the Twentieth Century: A Biographical Dictionary. New York: Garland Publishing, Inc., 1995.
- Hayden Reference N6503 .N67 1995
- Petteys, Christ. Dictionary of Women Artists: An International Dictionary of Women Artists born before 1900. Boston: G.K. Hall & Co., 1985.
- Hayden Reference N43.P47 1985
- Piland, Sherry. Women Artists: An Historical, Contemporary and Feminist Biography. 2nd ed. Metuchen, N. J.: The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 1994.
- Hayden Reference N8354 .B32x 1994
- Prather-Moses, Alice Irma. The International Dictionary of Women Workers in the Decorative Arts: A Historical Survey freom the distant Past to the Early Decades of the Twentieth Century. Metuchen, N. J.: The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 1981.
- Hayden Reference HD 6069.P7
- Puerto, Cecila. Latin American Women Artists, Kahlo and Look Who Else: a Selective annotated Bibliography. Westport Ct.: Greenwood Press, 1996.
- Hayden Reference N6502.5 .P84x 1996
- Puniello, Francouise, and Halina R. Rusak. Abstract Expressionist Women Painters: An Annotated Bibliography. Lanham, Md.: The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 1996.
- Hayden Reference ND212.5 .A25 P86x 1996
- Tuffs, Eleanor. American Women Artists Past and Present: A Selected Bibliographic Guide. New York: Garland Publishing , Inc. 1984, 1989.
- Hayden Reference N6505 .T838x 1984
Writing and Research Guides - Art
- Art History: A Preliminary Handbook
- Robert J. Belton of Okanagan University College, British Columbia, created this handbook for students of art history. It is a valuable resource for student and teacher. Topics covered include: visual culture, elements of art, evaluation of tests and term papers, as well as, thoughtful suggestions in researching, writing and documenting papers.
- Barnet, Sylvan. A Short Guide to Writing about Art. Boston: Little, Brown, 4th ed. 1993. (not at ASU). 3rd ed., 1989.
- West Stacks N7476 .B37 1989. 2nd ed., 1981. Hayden Reserve, West Stacks N7476. B37 1981.
- Brazun, Jacques and H.F. Graff. The Modern Researcher: the Classic Manual on All Aspects; Research and Writing. New York: Harcourt, Brace, 5th ed., 1992.
- Hayden Stacks/West Stacks D13 .B334 1992.
- Carrier, David. Principles of Art History Writing. University Park, Pa.: Penn. State University Press, 1991.
- Hayden Reserve/West Stacks N380 .C37 1991.
- Goldman, Bernard. Reading and Writing in the Arts. Rev. ed. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1978.
- Hayden Reference/Architecture Reference/West Stacks N7425 .G6x 1978.
- Gibaldi, Joseph. MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers. New York: Modern Language Association of America, 4th ed., 1995.
- Hayden Reference LB2369. G53 1995.
- University of Chicago.The Chicago Manual of Style. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 14th ed., 1993.
- Law Reference Z253 .U69 1993.
- Turabian, Kate. A Manual for Writers of Term Papers. Theses, and Dissertations. Chicago: University of Chicago Pr., 6th ed., 1996.
- Hayden Reference LB2369 .T8 1996.
Citing Electronic Sources
- MLA Style
- These guidelines on MLA documentation style are the only ones available on the Internet that are authorized by the Modern Language Association of America.
- Electronic Sources: MLA Style of Citation
- Xia Li and Nancy Crane. Electronic Styles: A Handbook for Citing Electronic Information. Westport CT: Meckler Publications, 1993.
- Hayden Reference PN171 .D37 .L5