Atlases & Gazetteers
- National Atlas of Japan = Nihon Kokusei Chizu
Kokudo Chiriin. Tokyo: Japan Map Center, 1977.
This official, detailed atlas features maps and statistical information dealing with aspects of geography, climate, land use, population, agriculture, fishing, industry, transportation, commerce, politics, social conditions, and culture. The scale varies.
- Gazetteer of Japanese Place Names in the Characters and in Romaji Script Giving Latitudes and Longitudes
Gerr, Stanley, comp. Cambridge, MA.: Harvard University Press, 1942.
About 4500 entries arranged by characters and by romanized forms.
- Japan. Official Standard Names Approved by the United States Board on Geographic Names
United States. Board on Geographic Names. Washington, D.C.: Board on Geographic Names, 1955.
About 29,000 geographic and administrative places are listed.
- Japan : European Printed Maps to 1800
Campbell, Tony. London: Map Collectors' Circle, 1967.
28 maps in this publication are reproductions of the originals produced between 1570-1794; citations for 83 maps produced between 1586-1794 are also included.
- Isles of Gold: Antique Maps of Japan
Cortazzi, Hugh. New York: Weatherhill, 1983.
Nearly one hundred Japanese and Western maps are included.
- Old Maps in Japan
Nanba, Matsutaro, comp. Osaka: Sogensha, 1973.
The old maps shown in this volume were produced in Japan before 1869. The world maps, maps of Japan, and route maps are noted in chronological order, while regional, provincial, and city maps are placed according to geographic locations. Indexed.